Episcopal Church in Waynesville began with two communicants in
April 1869, when the Rev. W.T. Helms of Nashville, Tennessee
held services for J. Drew Sweet and Mrs. Thomas Brown - two
local members of the Church of England.
For several months, Services were held in the McKay's Hall. In
1870 Services were moved to Pugh's Chapel on South Main Street
.In the summer of 1870, the small group of parishioners had the
courage to buy a lot at the corner of Third and Miami Streets.
In August, they witnessed the laying of the cornerstone by the
Rev. Mr. Helms. The lot was bought for $300. The plans for the
Church were provided by Edwin R. Proctor, a Cincinnati
Architect, and $600 was raised toward the Building. A.E.
Merritt, a local contractor, was instructed to proceed with the
work until the funds were exhausted. For several years the
Building was not sufficiently completed to use for Services.
On Easter Sunday in 1875, the Building was opened for Church
In the early spring, April 21, 1881,
almost eleven years after the laying of its cornerstone, little St.
Mary's on the Hill, was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Thomas A. Jagger -
to the Glory and Worship of God. Rev. Jagger was the first Bishop of
The Rev. John F. Cadwallader was ordained Priest at St. Mary's by Bishop
Thomas A. Jagger and he remained Rector of St. Mary's for thirty years.
He was one of the main factors in the up building and maintenance of St.
Mary's in the community. Under his leadership, St. Mary's became a
1889 Mr. Cadwallader was appointed Lay Reader.
In Lent, April 13, 1922, Mr. Cadwallader suffered a heart attack and
never recovered. He built the Rectory, which was given in his Will to
the Parish; also, a 179 acre farm, just north of Waynesville. His
lifelong dream was to build a Parish House. Just prior to his death,
land adjoining the Church lot was purchased for that purpose.
Mr. John Schaeffer was named Lay Reader. Mr. John Schaeffer was ordained
Deacon December 4, 1922, at St. Mary's by the Rt. Rev. Theodore Irving
The offering went to a memorial Parish House for the late Mr.
Cadwallader - $50 in cash and $500 in pledges.
John J. Schaeffer was ordained Priest at Christ Church, Dayton, Ohio,
December 28, 1924, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Reece. During his leadership,
a new shingle siding was put on the Church. He served St. Mary's for 14
years and because of ill health, resigned in 1936.
R. Lloyd Hackwell came to St. Mary's in the summer of 1938. He was
married to Miss Helen Carruthers of Glendale, Ohio. The couple lived in
Tuesday, July 11, the Rt. Rev. Henry W. Hobson ordained the Rev. Mr. R.
Lloyd Hackwell to the order of Priesthood.
Under his leadership, St. Mary's made great strides. The development of
the Church School was his plan.
A house-to-house canvas throughout the Township and the Rector - making
follow-up calls - proved successful in bringing in new members for
Church and Church School. The result was an average attendance of 42
children - under the age of 14 - for the day school. They met every
Tuesday after school.
He was active in Boy Scout Work. He resigned in 1941 to go to Trinity
Church, Hamilton, Ohio.
The Rev. Ralph Parks was appointed Minister-in-Charge of St. Mary's in
February 18, 1945, the first Sunday in Lent, the Rev. Ralph Parks was
advanced to Priesthood by the Rt. Rev. Henry W. Hobson.
In 1948, the Rev. Mr. Parks resigned to become Assistant Rector of
Christ Episcopal Church, Dayton, Ohio.
On Sunday, October 10, 1948, the Rev. Samuel Nathan Keys was ordained to
the Priesthood by the Rt. Rev. Henry W. Hobson.
During the years of Mr. Keys, as Rector, many new activities were
completed. The formation of a new Church and Community Club was formed,
known as the St. Mary's Club. He formed a St. Mary's Boys Club, adding
vocational training for the youth of the Community.
February 26, 1950, at 3:30 pm (the first Sunday in Lent), a thanksgiving
and dedication was held for the new Parish House. This had been a dream
since the days of Mr. Cadwallader. The new Parish House more than
doubled the inside space of St. Mary's. It included a great Parish Hall,
a fully equipped kitchen, full basement, a new heating system and
extensive landscaping. The inside of the Church was also given a new
look - new organ, pews, lighting and painting.
The Rev. Samuel Keys also formed a Church in Wilmington, Ohio, and
served that congregation at an early Service.
On September 15, 1958, the Rev. Samuel Keys accepted a call to St.
Simon's Episcopal Church, Arlington Heights, Illinois.
From 1958 until 1966, the formation of the Warren County Shared Ministry
was in progress. The Rev. Raymond Gayle followed Mr. Keys and was
instrumental in forming the Shared Ministry from St. Dunstans, Mason;
St. Patrick's, Lebanon and St. Mary's, Waynesville.
During this period, the Rev. Mr. David Ruhmkorff became Rector when Mr.
The Rev. Mr. Lyman Kauffman and the Rev. Mr. James Hart joined the
staff. Mr. Kauffman and Mr. Hart were interested in youth and several
programs were developed, including the Hollywood Youth Center, Franklin,
Ohio; the Fairo Farm Summer Program for children and a Saturday Quest
The Rev. Harold Deeth served the Shared Ministry and endeared himself to
both Lebanon and Waynesville. He resigned in 1972.
During the interim, the Rev. Don Farrow, Executive Secretary of the
Miami Mental Health Dept. of Montgomery County, served as Priest to St.
1973 - 1976, The Rev. Edward Smith was called to the Shared Ministry
from Boston, Mass. Mr. Smith lived in St. Mary's Rectory. He was active
in the Schools and Community. His untimely death deeply affected the
Community and the parishioners.
The Rev. David Allardyce came from Springfield to conduct the Services
at St. Mary's.
1977 - 1983 The Rev. Stephen Williams was called to the
Shared Ministry in 1977. During his leadership, St. Mary's lost some of
its enthusiasm and the Church was not growing. The Vestry decided it was
time to break from the Shared Ministry with Lebanon, St. Patrick's. With
the permission of Bishop William C. Black, seventh Bishop of the Diocese
of Southern Ohio, we were allowed to leave the Shared Ministry.
The Rev. Victor Frederiksen from Cincinnati was chosen by St. Mary's
Vestry in 1983, with the consent of Bishop Black, to serve as our
Rector. He continued serving as Chaplain at the Children's' Hospital
Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
During his stay, we gained back our interest in making St. Mary's a
Church for the Community and to the Glory of God.
St. Mary's Vestry sold the Rectory, since it was no longer used by the
Rectors and it needed many repairs. A house in Lebanon, given to St.
Mary's by Mrs. Dorothy Frazur, was also sold. The money from these two
properties, with the consent of the Diocese, was invested.
The Rev. Victor Frederiksen resigned from St. Mary's in January 1989.
From January until August 1989, the Rev. Wiley Ralph, a retired Priest
living in Lebanon, Ohio, served as interim Priest. He was most welcomed
and St. Mary's enjoyed having Rev. Ralph with us.
The Rev. Mr. Hugh Whitesell, a retired Priest from Erwin, North Carolina
and residing in the Dayton, Ohio area, became our Priest-in-Charge. Mr.
Whitesell had served both St. Paul's and St. George's Episcopal
Churches, Dayton, Ohio.